Tuesday, October 7, 2008

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die - #13. Machito - Kenya (1957)


MACHITO - KENYA

Track Listing (standout tracks listed in bold

1. Wild Jungle
2. Congo Mulence
3. Kenya
4. Oyeme
5. Holiday
6. Cannonology
7. Frenzy
8. Blues A La Machito
9. Conversation
10. Tin Tin Deo
11. Minor Rama
12. Tururato

This would be the first time I have ever listened to a Afro-Cuban jazz album. While not something I see myself hurrying back to listen to – I did actually kinda enjoy it. The music on here reminds me of every dance/bar scenes in every 50’s movie I have ever seen. Not that that’s a bad thing – but is a nice analogy – as this is music that seems to fit nicely in the background. Not too flashy, solid beats and rhythms and you could dance to it if you are so inclined.
The arrangements are tight, full of percussion and horns, yet they are kinda cookie cutter music. One song does not really distinguish itself apart from another. Still – a ‘pleasant’ album to listen to so I would recommend it.

No comments: