Monday, November 24, 2008

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die - #28. The Incredible Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack (1960)


The Incredible Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack (1960)

Track Listing (standout tracks listed in bold)

1. Back At The Chicken Shack
2. When I Grow Too Old To Dream
3. Minor Chant
4. Messy Bessy
5. On The Sunny Side Of The Street

Another jazz album. Another cool one. It’s closer to funk than to jazz. Again -
I had never heard of Jimmy Smith until I went to play this record. Doing some research I found that he ruled the Hammond organ in the '50s and '60s. He is considered to be the one who revolutionized the instrument, showing it could be creatively used in a jazz context and popularized it in the process. His Blue Note sessions from 1956 to 1963 (which includes this 1960’s release) were extremely influential and are considered classics. In the jazz world.
I don’t know about all of that – but the music is – well – COOL. Recorded in 1960 with Kenny Burrell on guitar, Donald Bailey on drums, and Turrentine, the group is tight and as I say it’s ‘funky’ it’s ‘soul-jazz’ it’s ‘relaxed’. It’s a pleasure to listen to.

No comments: