Monday, December 22, 2008

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die - #40. James Brown - Live at the Apollo (1963)


James Brown - Live at the Apollo (1963)
Label - King
Producer – James Brown
Art Direction - Dan Quest
Nationality - USA
Running Time – 31:33

Track Listing (standout tracks listed in bold)

1. Introduction To James Brown
2. I'll Go Crazy
3. Try Me
4. Think
5. I Don't Mind
6. Lost Someone
7. Medley: Please, Please, Please/You've Got The Power/I Found Someone/Why Do You Do Me/I Want You So Bad/I Love You So Bad/I Love You, Yes I Do/Strange Things Happen/Bewildered/Please, Please, Please
8. Night Train

Mr James Brown. AKA - The hardest working man in showbiz! This recording at the famed Apollo theatre in New York is nothing short of an astonishing record. James is in top form as are his backing band the Flames.
In reading about the album (as I do with each record to learn more about each one) I was amazed to read that at the time King Records owner Syd Nathan flat out refused to fund this recording!! Too un-commercial. It will never sell. In his bravado style - Brown proceeded anyway, and paid for it out of his own pocket. His reasoning was that he had been out on the road night after night for a while, and he knew that the magic that was part of a James Brown show was something no studio record had ever caught. Hit follows hit without a pause — "I'll Go Crazy," "Try Me," "Think," "Please Please Please," "I Don't Mind," "Night Train," and more.
The reissue of this record is the one to get – as it is features the original audience track – not the one overdubbed at the time featuring POLITE clapping. This music is full of soul and the audience is as much a part of the recording as the band!
Highly recommended.

No comments: