Tuesday, April 28, 2009

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die - #99. Merle Haggard - I'm A Lonesome Fugitive


Merle Haggard - I'm A Lonesome Fugitive

Label – Capitol
Producer – Ken Nelson
Art Direction – Uncredited
Nationality – USA
Running Time –25:14

Track Listing (standout tracks listed in bold)

1. I'm A Lonesome Fugitive
2. All Of Me Belongs To You
3. House Of Memories
4. Life In A Prison
5. Whatever Happened To Me
6. Drink Up And Be Somebody
7. Someone Told My Story
8. If You Want To Be My Woman
9. Mary's Mine
10. Skid Row
11. My Rough And Rowdy Ways
12. Mixed Up Mess Of A Heart

Out of the blue we have a country record! And it’s actually a pretty good one. It’s more of a country-rock record then an all out country one. The amazing thing that stood out when I played this early Merle Haggard album is how much current star Alan Jackson sounds like Merle in his younger days. I actually did a double look at the display to make sure it was actually Merle Haggard that was playing!! This is on of Haggard’s early Capitol album and it contains the haunting "House of Memories" and also a nod to his country roots with a cover of "Rough and Rowdy Ways," the Jimmie Rodgers classic. The album is very short and maybe that is a good thing. Right as I was thinking to myself – ok I’ve enjoyed this up until now – but I am getting that “wish this was over” feeling – it WAS!! So it left me totally fulfilled. Short and sweet and packed with some decent sounding tunes, which was a pleasant surprise. So – surprisingly - It is recommended!

"
You can purchase the CD and mp3's here.

1 comment:

Music 101 said...

http://www.mediafire.com/?db2j4ehydxm