Tuesday, September 14, 2010

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die - 146. Miles Davis - In A Silent Way (1969)


Miles Davis - In A Silent Way (1969)
Label – Columbia
Producer – Teo Macero
Art Direction – Uncredited
Nationality – USA
Running Time – 37:55

Track Listing (standout tracks listed in bold)

1. Shhh/Peaceful
2. In A Silent Way/It's About That Time

Anyone who follows my reviews knows, I’m not a very big jazz music fan, and every jazz record I’ve reviewed I had never heard before. That said – this is the third Miles Davis record in the 1001 list, and after really enjoying the first two I was actually looking forward to this one. Maybe that’s where I went wrong.
This recording sounded to me very disjointed, unfocused and at times almost unbearable to listen to. It ended up being one of those records where I’m thinking man I wish this one would end. Never a good sign. I always read up on the record I’m listening to, as I like to see who played on them, get little tidbits to share here, and to find out chart performances, etc. This time out it helped me understand just WHY the recording seemed disjointed and unfocused. “In A Silent Way” was actually one long recording session (February 18, 1969) and then producer Teo Macero, selected certain bits at random to produce the album! It shows. There is no melodies to follow, not even a melodic frame. There are only vamps and extended meandering solos, with the grooves layered on top of one another in disconnected passages. Gone are the smooth sounds of “Birth of Cool” that’s for sure.
For those interested, In 2001 the complete sessions were eventually released. The recording began Miles Davis’ "electric"period, and “In a Silent Way” has been regarded by many as Davis's first fusion recording. When released critics didn’t know what to make of it, but time has treated it well as now it is regarded as one of Davis's greatest and most influential works. I would disagree. I don’t claim to know jazz – but I know what I like and this is not it.
It is not recommended.

No comments: