Thursday, June 26, 2014

June 26, 2014

THE ALBUM OF THE DAY
QUEEN...Live Killers
Released: 35 years ago today, June 26, 1979
Highest Chart Position: #16 U.S. Billboard Album Charts
Track Highlights: We Are The Champions

In 1979 Queen had become quite popular with several hit singles and albums, sold out concerts around the world, a flamboyant lead singer and a killer lead guitarist. Now, let me just say upfront that I am not the biggest Queen fan, even though I do like them. This live album from 1979 does not help me, either. First, the sound quality of the record I have always felt is not the greatest. I can't explain it, really, the sound on the record is just not "right". maybe it's my ears, I don't know, or could it be that I'm just not that thrilled by the album. I do recommend it if you like Queen.  It has live energetic performances of all the favorite Queen hits recorded before this album was recorded and also many many others do love this album.  We can't all have the same taste, that would be boring.  I only give it a 1 out of 5 stars but you should check it out for yourself
(vinyl, CD, Allmusic review)

 ROCK BIRTHDAYS FOR JUNE 26
Larry "The Mole" Taylor of Canned Heat is 72; Mick Jones formerly with the Clash is 59; Chris Isaak is 58; Patty Smyth of Scandal is 57; Terri Nunn of Berlin is 53; Colin Greenwood of Radiohead is 45; Nathan Followill of the Kings of Leon is 35;

ON THIS DATE
1977 Elvis Presley performs his final concert in Indianapolis, Indiana
1996 Sammy Hagar leaves Van Halen

No comments: