Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The ALBUM SPOTLIGHT OF THE WEEK Sammy Hagar - I Never Said Goodbye (1987)

Whenever I tell people that I prefer the David Lee Roth led version of Van Halen better than the Sammy Hagar led version some think that I don't like Sammy.  On the contrary...the Sammy era had some fantastic music.  Hagar has consistently put out some rockin' jams, whether it be with Montrose, Van Halen or Chickenfoot.  As a solo artist Hagar has proven equally capable of putting out a fine album.  "I Never Said Goodbye" is the spotlight in this review as it is the 25th anniversary of its release in 1987.  It reached number 14 on the US Billboard album charts.  It is the only solo album Sammy released while he was a member of Van Halen.  As I have been spinning this album the last couple of days I have been reading other reviews for the record and they are not to kind (just click the link below for the Allmusic review, you will see what I mean).  I would have to disagree.  It is a fine record.  The opening track When The Hammer Falls is a fantastic rocker.  Give To Live and Eagles Fly are other highlights.  I recommend you check it out, it is worth the listen.  I never have understood music critics anyway.
(CD, vinyl, Allmusic review)

No comments: