Thursday, January 15, 2009

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die - #45. Dusty Springfield - A Girl Called Dusty (1964)


Dusty Springfield - A Girl Called Dusty (1964)

Label - Philips
Producer – John Franz
Art Direction – Uncredited
Nationality- UK
Running Time –28:37

Track Listing (standout tracks listed in bold)

1. Mama Said
2. You Don't Own Me
3. Do Re Mi
4. When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes
5. My Colouring Book
6. Mockingbird
7. Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa
8. Nothing
9. Anyone Who Had A Heart
10. Will You Love Me Tomorrow
11. Wishin' And Hopin'
12. Don't You Know

Another pleasant surprise. This 1964 album was the U.K. equivalent of the LP that Americans knew as “I Only Want to Be with You”. The record I actually listend to was a CD re-issued in 1997 under its original U.K. title with eight bonus tracks taken from her first two Eps - which never made it onto an album in England. I try to just listen to the albums as they were released – and not get involved with the bonus tracks and such – but in this case – I didn’t mind – as the music Dusty was producing was just down right good!
The bonus cuts – just for completeness sake - include an alternate mix of "I Only Want to Be with You" and covers such as "Everyday I Have to Cry," "Can I Get a Witness," (which the Rolling Stones were also covering at this time) "All Cried Out," "I Wish I'd Never Loved You," "Once Upon a Time," and "Summer Is Over." These tracks combined with the original album tracks such as Springfield's fantastic cover of "Will You Love Me Tomorrow," make this just a well rounded release and one that I enjoyed from start to finish. If Dusty had never recorded another LP, she would still have been a legend just based on the contents of this one release.
“A Girl Called Dusty” surprised me as it is actually a very good soul album, and a lot of fun and is highly recommended.


You can purchase the CD here.

On this date in 1965 the Who releases their first album "I Can't Explain"

CONCERT NEWS
Thursday, February 12 DAYS OF THE NEW Club Firestone Orlando
Friday, February 13 THE SMITHEREENS has been changed to the State Theatre in St. Petersburg

1 comment:

Music 101 said...

http://www.mediafire.com/?arntal1yuyb