Friday, January 16, 2009

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die - #46. The Rolling Stones – The Rolling Stones (1964)


The Rolling Stones – The Rolling Stones (1964)

Label - Decca
Producer – Andrew Loog Oldham
Art Direction – David Bailey
Nationality- UK
Running Time – 32:59

Track Listing (standout tracks listed in bold)

1. Route 66
2. I Just Want To Make Love To You
3. Honest I Do
4. Mona (I Need You Baby)
5. Now I’ve Got A Witness
6. Little By Little
7. I’m A King Bee
8. Carol
9. Tell Me
10. Can I Get A Witness
11. You Can Make It If You Try
12. Walking The Dog

The debut album by The Rolling Stones, was released in the UK in April 1964. The US edition of the LP, with a slightly different track list, came out the following month, under the title “England's Newest Hit Makers – The Rolling Stones”.
Recorded over the course of five days in January and February 1964, the majority of the tracks reflect the band's love for authentic R&B material. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were still very much fledging songwriters during early 1964 and therefore contributed only one original composition to their first album – “Tell Me (You're Coming Back)" – although two tracks are credited to "Nanker Phelge" - a name the band used for group compositions in their early days.
It’s was actually pretty hard for me to write the review for this record. I just never have been that thrilled with the early Rolling Stones albums. Now don’t get me wrong - it is a good album and there is definitely some good stuff to recommend. Just for ME it leaves me a feeling bit ‘under whelmed’ when I listen to it. Perhaps it’s because I know that there are some fantastic Stones albums looming in the near future (some we’ll get to review too!!) that leaves me with that under whelmed feeling.
Basically this is a blues record, and that IS a good thing, it’s just there is nothing particularly exciting about it. It IS the Stones and at some point you should listen to this record therefore it IS recommended.


You can purchase the CD here.

On this date
1957 the Cavern Club opened on Matthews Street in Liverpool, England.
1964 The legendary Whisky A Go-Go opens on the Sunset Strip in LA, a venue where many famous rock acts performed, most notably the Doors
1976 Peter Frampton released platinum live album "Frampton Comes Alive".
1980 Paul McCartney jailed in Tokyo for 10 days on marijuana possession.

CONCERT NEWS
Saturday, February 17 PAT BENATAR Universal Studios Orlando
Sunday, April 26 NICKELBACK Ford Ampitheatre Tampa

1 comment:

Music 101 said...

http://www.mediafire.com/?a5bmd0mstxx