Sunday, June 10, 2012

DEEP PURPLE - Machine Head

It doesn't hurt to have one of the most popular guitar riffs of all time included on your album.  I am talkin about "Smoke On The Water". which reached number 4 on the US Billboard Pop Singles Charts.  The album is Machine Head, which reached number 7 on the US Billboard album charts when it was released 40 years ago in 1972.  Anyone interested in the history of hard rock/heavy metal should definitely check this one out.  In fact, you should own it.  Absolutely a terrific album from start to finish.  It was about this time that Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath were the leaders in this genre, and Machine Head is as strong an album as anything those guys were putting out at the time.  It has withstood the test of time very well, thank you.  I think it's on this album that Ian Gillian was in top form as the vocalist.  I could be biased since I do think this is the best album he's ever been involved with.  And there's that riff (we keep coming back to the riff) from Ritchie Blackmore.  It seems every budding guitarist learns this riff while practising in their bedrooms.  "Smoke On The Water" is the best track on the record, not because of the "riff" or it's popularity. It has a great lyric (autobiographical) but has a great melody, as well.  "Highway Star" is a fantastic album opener...in your face pounding sound from the band, and two fantastic solos, one from Blackmore, one from orgainist Jon Lord, who is a master at his instrument.  The day I bought this album I had my future wife and her best friend with me.  As I'm standing in line to checkout they both started telling me I should buy something worth buying, like The Eagles or Fleetwood Mac, to which I replied "I already have those records."  Check this one out again, and if you never have before wait no longer.

(CD, vinyl, Allmusic review)

Play "Machine Head" HERE. (A Spotify account is required)

No comments: