Wednesday, February 19, 2014

February 19, 2014

THE ALBUM OF THE DAY
GEORGE HARRISON...George Harrison  (1979)
George Harrison was released 35 years ago today in 1979.  It reached number 14 on the U.S. Billboard album charts.  Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present to you my personal favorite album of all time.  For 35 years I have been playing this album at least twice a month (sometimes more, and that's no exaggeration).  I can remember when I was just a 14 year old kid listening to this album and thinking how amazingly beautiful 'Dark Sweet Lady' and 'Your Love Is Forever' are, and they are back-to-back on the album.  George is always going to be remembered for his "All Things Must Pass" album, and his so-called come back highly successful album "Cloud 9" (and those are 2 fabulous albums) but I'll pull this one (and his album 33 1/3) off the shelf more than those 2.  Generally this album receives little praise, as you will see on the Allmusis review, but sometimes I think to myself that George recorded this record just for me and these idiots know nothing.  I know he didn't, of course, but it's stuck in my mind like that and that's ok.  Extremely, highly, favorably, relentlessly, respectfully recommended for EVERYONE.  Buy it! Here are the links:
(vinyl, CD, Allmusic review)

ROCK BIRTHDAYS FOR FEBRUARY 19
Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath and Heaven and Hell is 66; Mark Andes formerly with Canned Heat, Spirit and Heart is 66; Jon Fishman of Phish is 49; Daniel Adair from Nickelback is 39;

ON THIS DATE
1974 Kiss appear on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert
1980 Bon Scott from AC/DC goes out drinking on the town with friends. This is the night that Scott would end up passed out in a car and found unconscious the next day. Doctors were unable to help him
1996 Oasis win a couple of awards at the BRIT Awards in London for Best Video ("Wonderwall") and Best Album (“(What’s The Story) Morning Glory?”). During one of the acceptance speechs they refer to record industry folks as "Corporate pigs"
2009 Kelly Groucutt, formerly with Electric Light Orchestra, dies in Worcester, Worcestershire, England. Groucutt was 63

No comments: