Monday, March 21, 2011

March 21, 2011

The ALBUM OF THE DAY
BOSTON...Boston (1976)
(CD, vinyl, Allmusic review)

It's hard to believe that such a huge selling classic as this debut from Boston only reached number 3 on the U.S. Billboard album charts. I helped this album sell so many copies. I bought the 8-track so I could jam to it in my car. Then, when I got a cassette player, I replaced the old 8-track with a cassette. Then, sometime during the 80's I bought the LP along with their second album Don't Look Back on the same day. Then, in 1997, I bought the minidisc of it. Ironically, I've never bought the CD. There are maybe around 60 or 70 albums out there where I think all of the tracks are outstanding. That may sound like a lot, but I've listened to thousands of albums, so that's actually a pretty low number. This is one of those 60 or 70. It is superb rock n roll, great vocals from Brad Delp, great songs...it's just great. Highly, and I do mean highly, recommended. Highlights for me are "Foreplay/Long Time, "Peace Of Mind" and "Smokin'".


ROCK BIRTHDAYS FOR MARCH 21
Eddie Money is 62; Roger Hodgson of Supertramp is 61; Conrad Lozano of Los Lobos 60; Andrew Copeland of Sister Hazel is 43;

ON THIS DATE
1961 The Beatles play the Cavern Club in Liverpool, England for the first of many times
1970 First Step by the Faces is released
1976 David Bowie and Iggy Pop are arrested for marijuana possession in New York City
1983 Also in new York City Strawberry Fields in Central Park is opened in memory of John Lennon
1994 "Streets Of Philadelphia" by Bruce Springsteen wins an Oscar for Best Original Score
2007 Paul McCartney signs with Hear music, Starbucks label with Concord Records
2008 A lawsuit is filed by three men accusing Kid Rock of assault and battery and were seeking $15 million

No comments: