Friday, March 15, 2013

March 15, 2013

THE ALBUM OF THE DAY
BUDDY GUY...A Man And The Blues  (1968)
A Man And The Blues was released 45 years ago in 1968.  I will have to give this a 4 out of 5 stars.  I have really enjoyed some of Buddy's recent releases so for today I thought we'd check out one of his classics.  Let me tell you I picked a wonderful album.  I had never heard this record before from this blues legend and I actually was not surprised by how good it is.  The highlights are his version of the "Money (That's What I Want)", "Just Playing My Axe" and "Worry, Worry." Highly recommended.  The other thing that I loved about the record is the sound on it.  The sound quality that was available in '68 was magnificent.  I'm old school, I know, but it works great with all those old records
(CD, vinyl, Allmusic review)

ROCK BIRTHDAYS FOR MARCH 15

Phil Lesh from the Grateful Dead is 73; Ry Cooder is 66; Preston Hubbard from the Fabulous Thunderbirds is 60; Dee Snider from Twisted Sister is 58; Bret Michaels from Poison is 50; Mark Hoppus from Blink 182 is 41; Joseph Hahn from Linkin Park is 36;

ON THIS DATE
1968 Jimi Hendrix is "the most spectacular guitarists in the world” according to Life magazine
1999 Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, Del Shannon and Dusty Springfield were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
2004 Bob Seger, George Harrison and ZZ Top are inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame. That same day Guns 'N' Roses file a lawsuit against Geffen Records to stop a 'Greatest Hits' type release. The Governors Award from the San Francisco Chapter of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS) goes to Metallica
2010 Genesis is inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame



No comments: