Monday, March 18, 2013

March 18, 2013

THE ALBUM OF THE DAY
HOW TO DESTROY ANGELS...Welcome Oblivion  (2013)
Welcome Oblivion was released in 2013 and is currently at number 30 on the U.S. Billboard album charts.  How To Destroy Angels consist of Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, his wife Mariqueen Maandig and his longtime collaborator Atticus Ross.  Don't expect a NIN record here, this is a whole new ballgame.  Maandig delivers some really fine vocals throughout the album.  The music is, how should we say, experimental, perhaps avant garde, ambient, maybe weird is a good word.  I didn't hate it, not by any means, but I wasn't exactly entertained, either.  I was surprised that there are actually songs here, not just a bunch of noises thrown together.  I couldn't really name a highlight as the album last more than an hour and at times I found myself anxious for it to end.  I'll only give it a 1 out of 5 stars as it was not my cup of tea. Extra note: after I had finished my review I went to read up on it and it is getting high ratings.  Maybe I just don't get it.
(CD, vinyl, Allmusic review)

ROCK BIRTHDAYS FOR MARCH 18
John Hartman of the Doobie Brothers is 63; Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains is 47;

ON THIS DATE
1947 Procol Harum drummer Barrie James “B.J.” Wilson is born in London. He died in 1990 at the age of 43
1965 Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones are arrested after the 3 are denied use of a men's restroom and they pee on the wall
1975 Tommy, the film by The Who, premieres in New York
1994 Courtney Love calls police stating that her husband, Kurt Cobain, is suicidal, and police confiscate guns and ammo from their home
2002 Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and the Talking Heads are inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame. Also inducted that evening are Brenda Lee, Gene Pitney, Isaac Hayes and the Ramones
2009 Kent Henry, formerly with Steppenwolf, dies in Portland, Oregon. Henry was 60

No comments: