Thursday, February 17, 2011

February 17, 2011

The ALBUM OF THE DAY
SOCIAL DISTORTION...Hard Times And Nursery Rhymes (2011)
(CD, vinyl, Allmusic review)

Social Distortion has been around for a long time but I have never really paid much attention to them. So I decided that since they just recently released this album I would check it out. I got my copy, put it on and was quite surprised. They're a good little rock n' roll band, just writing some catchy tunes and delivering them with a in-your-face sound. They're not a metal band, but they're harder than, say, the Stones. I guess a similar band would be the Dead Kennedys. Hard Times And Nursery Rhymes starts off with a blistering instrumental "Road Zombie", and I also liked "California (Hustle And Flow)" and "Machine Gun Blues". This record is not going to blow you away but it is fun and I'm certainly glad I listened to it and now I can say "Yes, I like Social Distortion". Check it out, I recommend it.


Check out the Top 10 Rock Genre CD's/LP's/Downloads For This Week

ROCK BIRTHDAYS FOR FEBRUARY 17
Timothy J. Mahoney of 311 is 41; Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day is 39;

ON THIS DATE
1960 Rge Everly Brothers sign a $1 million - ten year contact with Warner Brothers Records
1972 Pink Floyd perform the Dark Side Of The Moon album in a concert in London. The album would not be released for another year
1973 In Hollywood, Florida Free performs their final concert
1975 Rock And Roll by John Lennon is released
1976 Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 by the Eagles is released. It is currently the second highest selling album of all time in America
1990 Aerosmith appear on "Saturday Night Live" in a "Wayne's World" skit

ROCKLINE with Bob Coburn
Monday, February 21 10 YEARS 11:30 PM Eastern/8:30 Pacific Listen here
Wednesday, February 23 JOHN WAITE 11:30 PM Eastern/8:30 Pacific Listen here
Does your local rock station carry Rockline? Find out here

No comments: