Tuesday, February 22, 2011

February 22, 2011

The ALBUM OF THE DAY
AEROSMITH...Aerosmith (1973)
(CD, Allmusic review)

Another debut, in this case Aerosmith, which hit number 21 on the U.S. Billboard chart. For today I wanted to have a debut by a well known band that I personally had never heard so I started with the A's and I could not believe that the second band I looked at I had never heard their entire debut, and Aerosmith of all bands. I am so familiar with nearly all of their albums but yet this one somehow had escaped me. Imagine my delight as I got to hear some new tracks from Aerosmith that were released 38 years ago. It was a nice listen, I enjoyed it, a lot. Their influences are all over the place on this record: Beatles, Zep, Stones. Of course, we've all heard their classic "Dream On", most of you will know "Mama Kin" (great jam), and I also enjoyed "Walkin' The Dog" (originally by Rufus Thomas). I do have one complaint...the album cover just strikes me wrong, I don't know why, just looks terrible. Other than that I recommend you go to a brick and mortar record store today, buy it, and enjoy


ROCK BIRTHDAYS FOR FEBRUARY 22
Scott Phillips of Creed and Alter Bridge is 38;

ON THIS DATE

1963 Northern Music Publishing Company is formed by the Beatles
1965 The Beatles leave for the Bahamas to begin filming Help!
1967 "A Day In The Life" is finished by the Beatles, which would appear 4 months later on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
1978 Sid Vicious is arrested in new York for drug possession
1989 At the 31st Grammy's: Jethro Tull beats out Metallica for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental
2005 It is announced that Brian "Head" Welch has left KoRn. Welch had recently became a Christian
2007 It is announced that Ryan Yerdon is the new drummer for Puddle Of Mudd

ROCKLINE with Bob Coburn
Wednesday, February 23 JOHN WAITE 11:30 PM Eastern/8:30 Pacific Listen here
Monday, February 28 AARON LEWIS of STAIND 11:30 PM Eastern/8:30 Pacific Listen here
Does your local rock station carry Rockline? Find out here

No comments: