Saturday, February 5, 2011

February 5, 2011

The ALBUM OF THE DAY
EMERSON, LAKE AND PALMER...Emerson, Lake And Palmer (1970)
(CD, vinyl, Allmusic review)

This is the debut album from Emerson, Lake and Palmer, and it reached up to number 18 on the U.S. Billboard album chart. I thought I would check this one out as the track "Lucky Man" is a pretty cool song. but the rest of the record was actually a drag to listen to. The album is generally thought of as a classic but I'm just not hearing it. Perhaps it's because I'm not usually into this kind of sound, generally known as "art rock". There are instrumentals that seem to just linger on, some good drum work from Carl Palmer and at times the keyboard work reminded me of Ray Manzarek, but the album never really grabbed me or interested me with the exception of "Lucky Man", which, admittedly, could be because I was already familiar with that one. I actually don't like giving an album a bad review as I am not a musician but rather an avid listener and huge lover of music, but I would not be able to recommend this one. Your opinions and your own reviews are invited by clicking the comment button below.


ROCK BIRTHDAYS FOR FEBRUARY 5
Duff McKagan from Duff McKagan's Loaded and formerly with Guns 'N' Roses is 47; Chris Barron from the Spin Doctors is 43;

ON THIS DATE
1962 Ringo Starr played his first ever gig with the Beatles, filling in for the ill Pete Best
1993 Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood record an 'MTV Unplugged'
2006 The Rolling Stones perform at halftime of Super Bowl XL
2007 The Beatles Apple Corps and the computer company Apple reach a settlement regarding their names
2008 Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, a guru to the Beatles who introduced the West to transcendental meditation, died at his home in the Dutch town of Vlodrop; he was thought to be 91
2008 It Is Time For A Love Revolution by Lenny Kravitz is released

18,963

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The album cover IS really kewl looking though.

RRRivero said...

ELP is actually one of my favourite bands because they pioneered in a few things... Emerson practically invented the synthesizers! I must admit I prefer their Brain Salad Surgery album, (very cool artwork there too, by the designer of Alien)but I find ELP to be a nice album. With most of the Monster bands of the 70's, I find their first 2 or 3 albums to be the best. The only album of ELP I find too long and dense is their double album Works I. (They have an awful thing called Love beach, but their fans prefer to pretend it never happened)